This is a no-fuss treat that both non-GF friends and GF folks all can enjoy together, and it’s great both warm or cold, as dessert or breakfast! I tend to serve this when we have company, since it’s quick and no-fail and makes the house smell great! (I use Wyman’s of Maine frozen wild blueberries, since Ibotta has an offer for a few dollars back on up to 5 bags sometimes, which I deep freeze. This recipe takes about 1/2 bag.)
Prep time 10 minutes, bake time 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 8.
- Pour blueberries into the bottom of a 9×13 glass casserole dish filling it about 1 inch deep (about 1.5 lb/half the bag of Wyman’s frozen blueberries).
- Stir in 2 Tbsp lemon juice (optional) or 1 tsp zest.
- Mix in 3 Tbsp maple syrup (optional).
- Stir 1/4 cup brown rice flour into the berry mix (or other GF, but I like the brown rice flour to give it a sugary texture).
- For the crumble topping, mix two cups of old fashioned oats with 1-2 tsp. cinnamon and another 1/4 cup brown rice flour.
- Melt 1/3 cup coconut oil in a pyrex bowl, and stir into oats.
- Mix in 3 TBSP maple syrup.
- Spread oat topping evenly, and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers if you have any. The coconut oil makes it retain its crunchy topping texture–my favorite part!